Imagination, the Path of all Possibilities.

Imagination is a wonderful tool. I have never met a child without imagination. I would go so far as to say that a child without imagination is, well . . . unimaginable.

Gradually over the past few months I have come to realize that maybe what the world needs right now is more imagination on every level.  A surge towards that spectacular dimension of exploration and discovery that I believe is a vital connection to the realms of possibility and beyond.

A world where imagination needs to be ‘grown out of’ in favour of a realism which keeps so many of us locked in to dry, hum drum experiences needs now to change. I worry that imagination in adults is often considered to be weakness or a form of escapism from what the majority sees as truth, fact and ‘real’ life. Mostly though, I worry that those who govern, the decision makers, the law makers and office bearers, may be devoid of imagination altogether. That would be a catastrophe. Without imagination where would they lead us?

Personally, I am being prompted to reconnect with that sense of wonder. At what point I stopped using my own imagination, I can’t quite remember. While my attention turned to the details and subtleties of everyday life, imagination must have slipped away unnoticed taking those vital, spectacular connections and possibilities with it.

How am I going to begin to use my imagination? Let me give you an example. In the search for the experience of Oneness, how can I interact with those I may find difficult to get along with, who upset or frighten me, those who hold vastly differing views? How can I experience a sincere sense of rapport with them? By using my imagination I am able to see them ‘through the eyes of God’. It is a simple exercise that allows me to become aware of and to see the good that exists in everyone. 

If our senses provide gateways to experiencing and making sense of our physical environment, I put forward the idea that imagination is a sense that allows us to experience an environment beyond the immediate. Imagination and creativity go hand in hand don’t they? What we can imagine, we can create. But what can we create without imagination?  As Albert Einstein said,

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
― Albert Einstein


Imagination is a path of possibilities, of creativity and of unity.


Source/Submitted by: Carolyn Field - In the beginning was the word, and the word was LEARN!


How do you like SomethingToThinkAbout? Would you like to submit a posting? Email us.
Please support our efforts to keep this blog attractive for you. Any donation will help. Find the donation link on the right vertical panel. Thank you in advance for your courtesy.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of imagination as one of our senses. As a child, my father warned me not to be a dreamer. As a man who grew up during the Great Depression, he had apparently learned some difficult lessons about being practical, but imagination coupled with awareness, through meditation for example, will make life better for everyone. Without deep awareness, imagination in and of itself, is actually the place most of us live from now. This includes imagined truth, which all too often causes fear. With imagination, we must still be observers of the quality of our thoughts. Your writing is lovely Carolyn. Thank you so much for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele, thank you for your valued comments. I agree with you that imagination coupled with awareness can make life better for everyone. I am also being drawn to meditation, as I think many of us are now. I feel that this is a way of reaching our deepest, authentic truths. I also agree wholeheartedly that imagined truth can cause fear and this can be dangerous. I see imagination as being expansive - finding new solutions to the world's problems through harmonious means, rather than ever decreasing circles of retaliation that I see happening all around. Michele, thank you for your compliments! You are very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on blog! Another idea to consider is how many people refuse to imagine certain possibilities. I was a person who would never imagine that I could be free and of racial thought constructs (get a job, university degree, be a good worker bee, etc...). I quit my job over a year ago, and being unemployed has brought a lot of ideas to the forefront of my mind, which I have moved through.

    Now, I imagine glorious and beautiful days ahead.

    Aum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Grimm Greyes. We live in a time of extreme changes - Political, Economical, and Spiritual. The ones who understad this shift will "survive" and be the happy ones in the near future.

      Keep going, Grimm. Imagination is a very important talent of human kind in order to reach their goal.

      Delete
  4. Grimm, that is so lovely. I agree that sometimes it is difficult to imagine the outcomes we really desire and that some of us refuse to imagine certain possibilities because we are afraid to. You have brought up the interesting and important point of how we can hold onto our dreams and imagine our greatest possibilities while we are employed and busy doing things which may be far from where we wish to be (or even not so very far). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete